ESTATE PLANNING & PROBATE
The Wills, Trusts, Probate and Estate Planning practice at Frank Smith Law Office is focused on matters involving:
- Estate planning designed to minimize taxes and cost effectively and promptly provide for the payment of final debts and the transfer assets at the time of death;
- Preparation of wills, trusts, deeds, joint tenancy ownership instruments and related documents to achieve estate planning goals.
- Pre-death planning to provide for management of assets in the event illness or disability renders a client unable to otherwise handle their own financial affairs;
- Preparation of financial powers of attorney, standby conservatorships and trusts designed to achieve pre-death planning goals and assure that a client's assets are protected;
- Transfers of assets without probate by affidavit where allowed, probate of both large estates and small estates and settlement of trusts;
- Lawsuits involving will contests, undue influence claims, estate and trust disputes and wrongful death claims.
There is no charge for the initial conference on any matters related to estate planning, pre-death planning, wills, trusts, estates, probate, powers of attorney and related matters.
In the practice of governmental law and annexation law, Frank Smith Law Office provides services to clients in these areas:
Rural water issues
Land use and development issues
Frank Smith Law Office represents clients across the state - including large and small municipalities, rural water districts, citizen groups, non-profit corporations, and individuals - that are affected by these matters before local and state administrative agencies and governmental bodies.
We also regularly practice before the City Development Board (the state board that oversees municipal growth and development).
Frank Smith is perhaps best known for his work in the field of annexation law, where he has successfully represented many Iowa municipalities - such as Sioux City, Dubuque, Fort Madison, Boone, Altoona, Dexter, Tiffin and others - as well as individuals and citizen groups across the state regarding annexation matters.
As regards business law, Frank Smith Law Office provides legal advice and assistance with:
Limited liability companies.
The litigation practice at Frank Smith Law Office is limited to matters involving:
- Probate and Trust matters such as will contests, undue influence claims, estate and trust disputes and wrongful death claims;
- Real Estate disputes such as real estate contract enforcement, boundary line problems and real estate title and ownership issues;
- Commercial Litigation disputes such as contract enforcement and business dissolution matters;
- Personal Injury matters involving substantial claims involving serious bodily injuries and wrongful death claims;
The Real Estate practice at Frank Smith Law Office includes a full range of real estate services including:
- Assisting with all aspects of residential real estate sales and purchases including:
Drafting purchase agreements and the residential property condition disclosure statement, lead based
paint disclosure statement and other related compliance documents required
by state or federal law * Examining abstracts and preparing title opinions,
Clearing title objections,
- Providing legal services regarding all aspects of commercial real estate transactions including:
Assuring compliance with laws related to environmental issues such as septic systems
compliance under Iowa law,
Dealing with zoning and use issues
Examining abstracts and preparing title opinions
Clearing title objections
- Assisting with land use and development matters such as:
Conditional use permits